University of South Florida logo Florida D D Council logo

Transition to Work

Health Care and Transition

Links to More Resources in Florida
Advocacy Center for Persons with Disabilities Client Assistance Program (CAP)
CAP assists anyone with a disability who is interested in applying for and receiving services from rehabilitation programs, projects, or facilities funded under the Rehabilitation Act.

Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA)
Phone: Toll Free 1-888-419-3456
Information, questions and answers, office locations, and eligibility guidelines for Medicaid. Health care advance directive forms can be downloaded from the web site.

Children's Medical Services (CMS) Department of Health
Phone: (850) 245-4220 (Tallahassee)
CMS Network Area Offices are located throughout Florida. http://www.cms-kids.com/CMSTransition.htm

Clearinghouse on Disability Information
Florida listing of information and resources for persons with disabilities or long-term illnesses.

Department of Education
Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services
Phone: (850) 245-0475 (Tallahassee)
Administers programs for students with disabilities and for gifted students. Coordinates student services to strengthen the quality and variety of services available on students with special needs.

Agency for Persons with Disabilities
Phone: (850) 488-4257 (Tallahassee)
Assists persons with developmental disabilities and their families to identify and secure supports and services.

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
A statewide employment resource for businesses and people with disabilities to enable people with disabilities to obtain and keep employment.

Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology (FAAST)
Phone: (850) 487-3278 (Tallahassee); 1-888-788-9216 (Toll Free)
FAAST works with consumers, family members, caregivers, providers and agencies to ensure that individuals continue to benefit from assisted technology as they more between home, school, work and community.

Florida Institute for Family Involvement
Phone: Toll Free 1-877 926-3514
Provides information, resources, and advocacy for children with special health care needs and their families.

Florida Statewide Guardianship Office
Information for professionals and families about guardianship including potential sources of legal services.

Health Care Surrogate Designation in Florida
Forms and instructions regarding designating a health care surrogate.

Health Care Transition Initiative at the University of Florida
Phone: (352) 265-7220 (Gainesville)
Source for transition listservs, videos, training materials, and other resources for health care transition.

Legal Guide for New Adults in Florida
(Click Consumer Services, then Consumer Pamphlets)
This pamphlet, which was developed by the Florida Bar, is designed to help youth understand the legal rights and responsibilities they assume when they turn 18 and become adults from a legal perspective.


Each link (in red) will take you outside this site in a new window.

Other Health Care Links Outside Florida